We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Vegetable soup
- Root vegetable soup
- Sweet potato soup
Carrots and sweet potatoes are blended with ginger and thyme for a cosy, filling soup.
5 people made this
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease or olive oil
- 200g roughly chopped carrots
- 1/2 onion, diced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped, divided
- 500ml chicken stock
- 125g roughly chopped sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 1/4 orange, juiced, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons single cream
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:35min
- Heat butter and bacon grease (or oil) in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots and onion; cook and stir until onion has softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 of the fresh thyme leaves.
- Stir chicken stock, sweet potato, ginger paste, remaining thyme, salt and pepper into carrot-onion mixture. Bring to the boil; reduce heat and simmer until sweet potato is soft and flavours of soup have blended, 15 to 20 minutes. Mix orange juice, brown sugar, dried chilli flakes and cinnamon into soup.
- Puree soup using a hand blender until smooth; mix in more chicken stock to reach desired consistency. Stir cream into soup.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(0)
Reviews in English (0)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 ¾ cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 ½ cups water
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped carrot (about 1 pound)
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Move onion mixture to side of pan add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to open space in pan. Increase heat to medium-high cook 1 minute or until butter begins to brown. Add sweet potatoes, 3 1/2 cups water, broth, and carrot bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Place half of soup mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape) secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup mixture. Stir in half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls top each serving with about 2 teaspoons sour cream and 3/4 teaspoon parsley.
Creamy Thai Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
Is it too soon for soup? When I had a full-blown cold last week, soup sounded like just the ticket. I flipped through Angela’s new cookbook, Oh She Glows Every Day, and landed on this creamy, plant-based soup bursting with vitamin A and other goodness.
Carrots, sweet potato, and warming Thai curry blended with an unexpected ingredient—almond butter—made it a sweet and spicy, rich soup. I wish it could say it cured me for good (if only soup could), but it definitely made me feel better that evening. And the next morning, when I heated up leftovers for breakfast. Thank you, Angela!
Fans of Angela’s first book, The Oh She Glows Cookbook, will find tons of new favorites in her new one. Fun vegan breakfasts, smoothies, salads and soups, hearty plant-based dinners—this book has it all, with beautiful, bright and light photos by the lovely Ashley of Edible Perspective.
Blogging has a lot of perks, and meeting wonderful people through the blog is the best one. I’m so glad to have gotten to know Angela and Ashley over the years. I emailed Angela for cookbook advice a couple of years ago, and I’m so thankful for her generous advice and support. She’s a really hardworking lady, and I know that every recipe in this book has been tested over and over again to make sure it works. I hope you’ll get a chance to pick up her new book soon.
Before I forget, if you have a spare minute, could you please hop over to Bloglovin’ and vote for Cookie and Kate? We’re up for best food blog this year (our category is about halfway down the page), which is quite the thrill!
Roasted carrot, sweet potato and ginger soup
- Author: Jess
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1 x
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
This hearty roasted carrot, sweet potato and ginger soup is healthy and will keep you full!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 cups carrots
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 liter vegetable broth
- pinch of cayenne
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a pan with parchment paper.
- Chop your sweet potatoes and carrots into medium sized cubes and place spread out of your pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot on medium heat. Chop your onion and garlic and and add to the pot, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add grated ginger, sweet potato, carrots and a pinch of cayenne and stir together.
- Next add your vegetable broth and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender (or use a hand blender) and blend soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 156
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: Roasted carrot, sweet potato and ginger soup, vegan soup, healthy soup
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @choosingchia on Instagram and hashtag it #choosingchia
Here are some more great soups to keep you warm!
Curried coconut cauliflower soup
Roasted sweet potato cinnamon soup
One pot vegan minestrone soup
Spiced carrot, lentil, and sweet potato soup
posted by Jessica Hoffman on October 17, 2016 (updated November 23, 2018)
Step by Step Instructions
(Please see the recipe card for exact ingredient amounts)
In a dutch oven , saute the diced red onion until it's soft and translucent. Add the grated ginger, minced garlic, and dried seasonings to the pot and let it cook for a few minutes until fragrant. Next, add the chopped sweet potatoes, carrots, and vegetable broth to the pot (Photos 1 & 2). Bring it to a low simmer and then reduce the heat and let it cook until all the vegetables are soft (Photo 3).
Transfer the vegetable mixture to a high-powered blender (Photo 4) and blend on high until it's thick and creamy. Pour the soup back into the pot and stir in the coconut milk (Photos 5 & 6). Taste and add any more salt to taste. Garnish the carrot ginger coconut soup with a drizzle of cashew cream , vegan sour cream, fresh thyme, or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
How to Make It
Pour oil into a 4- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion, garlic, and ginger stir often until onion is limp, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, cumin, and cayenne cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add garbanzos, carrots, sweet potato, and broth bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender when pierced, 30 minutes.
Whirl in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to pan and stir in lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Heat until steaming, then ladle into bowls.
Sweet Potato, Carrot and Ginger Soup
- 800 g sweet potato – peeled diced into 3cm pieces
- 2 large carrots – 1cm slices
- 2 small brown onions – diced
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- ½ cup dried red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock GF brand
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Tried this recipe? Let us know how it was!
Simple ideas for making a great soup. Not just sweet potato!
Soup is a great dish to make. It is one of those meals that you can throw together with just about anything. However, there are some simple guidelines to follow for success every time. You can use up all sorts of vegetables and leftovers so that they don’t go to waste.
The best way to start is to look at what you would like finish with as a flavour base. So, if you want mixed vegetables, then you can use any sort of stock. But, ideally, chicken, vegetable or ham stock is the best. If you want to have some meat in your soup, then think about using either chicken or beef stock. Again, use up that ham stock you made at Christmas. It will be packed with loads of flavour which compliments vegetables, chicken, pork and beef. Lamb is better with chicken or beef stock. Not sure why – it just seems to pair better that way.
Other simple recipes
My new book, The Healthy Traveller, has 60 recipes like this soup. Easy to make, not many ingredients, and generally not much washing up at the end!
Ingredients required for Instant Pot Creamy Sweet Potato And Carrot Soup!
- Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potato lends a spectrum of flavor and texture to this soup. It’s the starch in sweet potatoes that helps to create a smooth and velvety consistency in soups. They also have a low glycemic index that means it will keep your belly full and happy for quite a while.
- Carrots – is a rich source of Vitamin A, minerals, and fiber. It aids in digestion and helps to detoxify the body.
- Coconut Milk – adds a luxuriously creamy texture to the soups. For non-vegan version use regular cream.
- Red curry paste – gives a warm, spicy, and flavorful taste.
- Fresh Cilantro – lends an earthy taste that takes the soup to a whole new level.
- Spices – cumin seeds add an earthy, yet smoky flavor and crushed red chili flakes spice up the soup.
From flavor to texture, this soup has it all!
Carrot, Sweet Potato, + Ginger Soup
This recipe is a great example of how delicious and comforting a healthy meal can be. Packed with carrots, sweet potatoes, ginger, turmeric, lime, cilantro, and coconut milk for a little creaminess – this soup is pure health in a bowl and packs some serious flavor. This is the perfect soup for a dinner party or for a cozy night at home because you can easily throw it together on the stove top and let the simmering do the work. I use a combination of sweet potatoes and carrots because I always have both ingredients on hand, and I love the flavor. To blend this soup, a high-powered blender is great – I recently got a Vitamix blender as a gift and it works WONDERS and creates the most luscious and velvety texture!
Tweak this recipe according to your dietary preferences – I use chicken broth, but if you use vegetable broth or even water, you can easily make this as a vegetarian/vegan soup without skimping on any flavor. Also, as a note – turmeric stains very easily, so dress accordingly!!
How to cook Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup with Spinach
- In a large pot, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the vegetables and spices and cook gently for a few minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Use a potato masher to mash some of the veg, leaving plenty of vegetable chunks.
- Serve and enjoy!
Hearty Spiced Cauliflower and Carrot Soup
Love these sorts of chunky broth soups. They seem a bit more substantial somehow than a blended soup and perfect for the 5:2 too.
Yes me too and they are more satisfying, well I think so.
I love hearty soups that have lots of vegetable chunks and a thick broth. This looks great for those "cold" day. I live in Miami, so there a 2-3 days per year that are "cold"
Oh Geoffrey you wouldn't survive in Scotland at all. Most of the year is soup weather.
I love all the flavors in this soup this will make an excellent dinner for busy weeknights!
Yes the flavours are great and it is one of the soups I make midweek. Easy to make, healthy and filling.
What a tasty looking fridge raider soup! I am a year round soup sorta gal and I like both smooth and chunky!
Oh I do like the phrase fridge raider. I must use that. Yes soup is rather fabulous!
This recipe has everything I love about a soup! I can't wait to try this!
Thanks Jessica and yes it is good. I hope you enjoy it!
This looks and sounds scrumptious! I LOVE the sweet potato, parsnip, and carrot combo!
Thanks Jennifer and yes they are great flavour combos.
I'm a big fan of hearty, chunky soups like this. It looks delicious!
Yes me too Nickki, they are good. Hope you try this one.
The weather has turned very cold here but I am happy it is soup weather - even though I will eat soup in hot and cold weather and either chunky or smooth. Any soup is great and this one is just my sort of soup.
This soup sounds amazing, love all the veggies in it! Delicious and healthy a win/win!
I love reading comments, so thank you for taking the time to leave one. Unfortunately, I'm bombarded with spam, so I've turned on comment moderation. I'll publish your comments as soon as I can and respond to them. Don't panic, they will disappear when you hit publish. Jac x